Derek Campbell | 22 | College Student | Human | FC: Michael B Jordan | OPEN
❝Would you let me see beneath your beautiful? Would you let me see beneath your perfect? Take it off now girl, I want to see inside.❞
You know how you always get that one guy in high school who everybody just seems to like? Honestly, doesn’t matter if they hate the world or are the cheeriest of cheerleaders – people in general just seem to gravitate towards them? Yeah well, welcome to the world of Derek Campbell. There’s isn’t anyone in this town who has a bad word to say about the guy who used to deliver their papers in the morning and help old ladies across the street. He was a real gentleman type because you know how ladies just love those. He’s always been a bit of a hopeless romantic and by that we mean he hopelessly falls in love from one girl to the next. It’s not his fault, he just has a habit of believing every one is The One until the next one comes along. A vicious cycle is what it is really but hey, he just loves love. Derek likes to go out of his way to make everyone he meets leave his company feeling that little bit more optimistic about their day. There’s almost always a smile on his face, a joke up his sleeve and you best believe he has every compliment and smooth chat up line from his last Google search memorized down to the last implied wink.
Now Derek has never been one to back away from the challenge of making someone else smile and ever since middle school he’s been trying to do just that with best friend Erica Evans. When he first met her she was tucked away with a book ignoring the world around her. Seriously, a space ship could have landed, abducted half the town and taken off again and she wouldn’t have noticed. That’s when he knew that he’d just found the coolest girl in the world – he just had to make her believe that. She wasn’t exactly the easiest of people to make believe your intentions were honourable but he wore her down and thus began the most epic of friendships. She was the Veronica to his Wallace, the apple pie to his ice-cream, she was the Mac to his cheese. You get the point, anyway so that was how it was from then onwards. Erica and Derek – friends for always. He even got the stamp of approval from her little sister Rose Evans but that might just have been because he always came over bearing Doritos and expert opinions on all things Lord of the Rings related. There isn’t anything Derek wouldn’t do for Erica, he just hopes that she knows that.
Okay so you remember how he’s the happy go lucky type? You literally couldn’t imagine him even disliking another human person? Well, there is always an exception. Lucas Durante – grade A d-bag. At least he was in high school and that’s when Derek knew him. He was always sniffing around Erica which didn’t sit right with him in the slightest especially since she claimed to hate his guts. Then they started dating and Derek tried to bite his tongue as best he could. You see Lucas was all ‘sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll’ back then and despite Erica’s constant speeches about how Derek just had to get to know him, he always knew Luke was going to hurt Erica – and he did. He couldn’t believe Erica stayed with him after The Incident but she did, and still he bit his tongue because he’s nothing if not a good friend and she is stubborn as hell. Then Luke dumped her and left for college. That summer was probably the most heartbreaking thing – and he has seen Moulin Rouge – Derek has ever had to witness. Erica cried, and cried and cried for weeks and weeks. And that d-bag didn’t call or write or send a text so yeah, there’s an exception. There’s always an exception.
Additional Information ➜
- First and foremost Derek is human. He might have grown up in a town full of the supernatural and his best friend may very well be a shifter with a homicidal shifter father hell bent on destroying her life but he himself is oblivious
- Speaking of the whole ‘dad’ issue, Derek has learned never to ask about Erica’s father. He respects her privacy and fully trusts that when the time is right she’ll tell him. He just has to be patient with her, like he’s always been
- In high school one of his good friends and basketball court buddies was Ryan Mitchell. Ryan was in the year below him which meant Derek enforced his ‘older, wiser mentor’ role without being asked
- Another blast from his past would be Elena Montgomery. Now she and Erica used to be all sleepovers and sharing sweaters but senior year hit, Lucas came into the picture and all of a sudden Elena was a total jerk to Erica. Derek’s never said anything because hey who really understands women? But he thinks Elena had a thing for Lucas
- Dylan McCreery was the captain of the football team when Derek was on it and he always looked up to the guy. He wishes they’d been able to keep in touch after high school but hey, word is he’s back in Havensdale now
- Derek and Erica were both accepted into Yale. Going to college with your best friend? Excellent. Your best friend disappearing from said college? Not-so-excellent. Derek’s barely head from Erica since she headed home claiming to want to ‘commute’. It’s been long enough now that he figures it’s time for a trip home himself. He just really hopes she’s not joined a gang or shaved her head or is living in a cave…